We Did It! #SOL19

“Do you think it’s really ready, Mrs. V.?” a student timidly asked during my extracurricular newspaper club.

“I do,” I responded with that glint in my eye that my students have come to equate with keeping one foot on solid ground while stepping the other into the vast unknown.  A couple of the fifth graders groaned, like Arnold from The Magic School Bus, but most had the same glint in their eyes as my cursor hovered over the “Share” button.  “This is the moment that we have been working toward.  You have worked hard, your newspaper looks great, and now it’s publication time!”

The cursor hovered a moment longer.

“Do it!” they excitedly shouted.  I clicked the button, we selected our target audience, and chose how we wanted them to interact with the paper.  I included a message about sending my news reporters some positive vibes and then we clicked “Done.”  The dialogue box disappeared and the students cheered excitedly.  They were officially published journalists.

We celebrated with high fives and brownies, and then they all returned to their computers to draft their articles for the next issue.   They appeared to have more confidence as they returned to their work, and they wrote with a more concrete goal in mind.  I am proud of my fifth graders who are bravely putting their writing out there for the whole school to read.  They are the best.  They are Eagle Eye News Reporters!

14 thoughts on “We Did It! #SOL19

1. Love the dialogue and the “glint” in your eye. Great description. Nothing like an authentic audience to keep you motivated and on your toes.

2. Hooray! I can just picture their excitement as they waited to click ‘send’. Savor this moment, knowing that you helped it happen. I am so grateful for every teacher who creates experiences like this for their students. Thank you for helping these Eagle Eye News Reporters launch their first of many editions!!

3. I love the tension and anticipation as that cursor hovered! The energy and excitement is palpable! And high fives and brownies?! I’m not sure a celebration gets cooler than that!!!!