A Letter of Thanks #SOL19

My grandmother was my best friend.  She taught me so much about living, laughing, and loving.  She has been gone now for many, many years, but I’ve never forgotten the lessons I learned in her presence.  Thanks to an idea from Paula Bourque’s book “Spark!,” I feel compelled to write a letter of thanks to the dear lady who impacted my life in so many ways.

Dear Grandma,

Where should I begin?  There are so many ways in which you enriched my life.  When I was growing up, you were the one who always knew exactly what to say and do when I was having an off day.  You taught me how to make a toy from a button and a string.  You showed me how to handle grumpy people (er…um…Grandpa) with a smile.  I learned how to sew by watching you and inherited your interest in crochet.  I used to love reading and rereading the handwritten cards and letters of all of the people with whom you corresponded.  The stories you would tell about those cards and letters were as fascinating as the letters themselves.  Oh, and I cannot forget the button box!  That tin contained more buttons than I’ve ever seen in one place!  They were all sizes, shapes, and colors.  I could entertain myself for what seemed like hours just running my fingers through the buttons, building button towers, and listening to you talk about the really interesting buttons.  Most importantly, Grandma, you planted a seed of faith in my young heart.  You gave me my first Bible which I still have over 45 years later.  You took me to church and showed me what it looks like to live a life of faith, hope, and love.  For that and the many other ways you blessed my life, I thank you.  I am a grandmother now, and I hope I bless my grandchildren the way that you blessed me.

Love,

Tracy Ann

16 thoughts on “A Letter of Thanks #SOL19

1. Might have to get Spark, as people keep talking about it. Letters are a lovely way to get through some of March writing. You’ve captured her importance in your life!

• Thank you! She was a very special lady! I like Spark. I have used it some with my students. They seem to like it, too.

2. This is a wonderful idea! My Oma (German grandmother) was special to me and much more my mom in many ways. Thanks for sharing this idea and the letter.

• Thank you, Tammy. My grandmother was like a mother to me in many ways. I credit who I am today to the many ways that she impacted my life.

3. Tracy, my grandmother had a “button box”, too, and I had not thought about it in decades until you wrote about yours here. She also saved the wooden spools from thread, and they became the best for building towers. What warm memories – so simple and pure. Thank you for writing this!

• Thank you, Daven. I am glad it brought back warm memories. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be able to go back and relive some of them?

4. I have my grandma’s button box and sewing kit! This letter brought back many, many memories for me, Tracy. Wonderful!

• What a treasure you have, Christie! I wish I knew what happened to my grandmother’s button box. She had five children and 17 grandchildren, so it could have gone to any of them. I am glad the letter brought back memories for you. 🙂

5. I lost my grandmother a year ago in January, so this slice hits a special place! Oh the button box! I love collecting and look at old buttons. Thank you for sharing your grandmother with us.

• I am sorry for your loss, Leigh Anne. Losing my grandmother was one of the most difficult periods of my life. I am so grateful for the memories. After reading this post’s comments, I think everyone’s grandmother had a button box! 🙂

6. Such a beautiful, sweet, sweet slice. I lost my grandma last August – so any Grandmother slices are sure to tug at my heartstrings — but I especially love how you wrote a letter — and the specific details you included really made me feel like I got to know your Grandma a little bit.

• I’m sorry for your loss, Ona. Even after all these years, I still think of my grandmother nearly daily. I’m so grateful for the many memories I have. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts!