Perspective Matters

Today was one of those days when I am reminded that many children frequently experience more negativity and hurt in their young lives than I will ever be able to fathom.  The resiliency of the young is an amazing thing.  It is a gift that helps them survive.

It is difficult to expect students to get along with one another or act in socially appropriate ways when they have little idea what those things look and feel like.  Although school adults model appropriate behavior and coping skills, it is often so far removed from the norm they have experienced for most of their lives that they truly do not understand it.  So what is an educator to do?

I have come to the conclusion that the best way to help is to simply approach the behaviors with an attitude of love.  Their behavior is not a personal attack on me or anyone else.  It is usually a shout out for someone to care.  I try to remember these things when dealing with student behaviors.  Admittedly, though, it can feel like an impossible goal at times.  I also want to point out that this does not mean a free pass for the student’s behavior.  There still must be a resolution agreed upon by all for the issue at hand.  However, when I do try to see the issues with an open heart, I find that I can view the problem and possible solutions with greater perspective and a more positive mindset.

I think this would be a good practice for life in general.  What would happen if all problems were viewed through a lens of love?

2 thoughts on “Perspective Matters